Coconut oil is labeled as a superfood, and for excellent reason.
Considered the “tree of life” in much of India, the Philippines, Southeast Asia and other tropical locations, the coconut tree can now be found in more than 75 countries throughout the world.
But for the modern homesteader, coconut oil has more uses than just for cooking.
For the following uses around the house, be sure and melt the coconut oil first so that you can add the ingredients and stir. You can do that by using a double boiler, a lighter or a microwave. Don’t overheat.
1. A homemade, all-natural deodorant
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup arrow root powder
- 15 drops essential oils of your choice ─ (I prefer to use lavender oil, sweet orange oil, jasmine oil, may chang oil or rose oil. They all have great skin healing properties and smell wonderful)
- For a more powerful deodorant, use citronella oil
2. A homemade, all-natural shaving cream
- 4 tbsp shea butter
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp sweet almond oil
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
- 6 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
3. A homemade, all-natural toothpaste
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp baking soda
- 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 1 tsp Stevia (for taste)
4. Lemon & coconut skin moisturizer
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- Squeeze in two lemons
- Squeeze in 1 opened, liquid vitamin E pill
- Add several drops of lavender essential oil if you prefer, or any essential oil of your
5. Homemade, all-natural hand soap
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- ¼ cup sea salt
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Add peppermint essential oil, or any of your favorite essential oils.
- Stir together the coconut oil and honey separately. Then, mix together the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl before adding it to the first mixture. Stir until it is smooth.
Enjoy these recipes to start, and let us know how you use coconut oil every day.
Do you know of other uses for coconut oil? Share your suggestions in the section below: