And with all the chemicals being added into our food, even the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says it doesn’t know all of the ingredients in our food – and can’t guarantee their safety.
Congress gave the FDA the responsibility five decades ago to regulate the additives that were put into foods. Since then, they have approved more than 70,000 food additives , according to Natural News.
But there are so many new preservatives, artificial colors and flavorings food companies are adding to their products each year that the FDA is not even aware if these additives are safe.
“We simply do not have the information to vouch for the safety of many of these chemicals ,” said Michael Taylor, the FDA’s deputy commissioner, in an interview with The Washington Post.
Not surprisingly, as food additives  increase, so do the number of consumers who complain about adverse reactions to food. In fact, the FDA has received thousands of complaints from consumers who had serious reactions to food additives ranging from asthma attacks to severe vomiting. Yet even after receiving these complaints, most food additives remain on the market.
To hold the FDA accountable, The Center for Food Safety filed a lawsuit against the FDA earlier this year, charging that the agency isn’t doing its job. Also, the Grocery Manufacturers Association provided seed money to start a research center at Michigan State University to address the rising concerns about these additives.
Toxic Food Additives To Avoid
As the food additives increase, it’s more important than ever to eat only organic food that doesn’t contain these harmful chemicals. To help you, here is a list of some of the most toxic food additives that you and your family should avoid:
1. Albumin – Taken from eggs, blood, cow’s milk, or vegetables. Adds texture or thickens food. Used in baked goods, cakes, cookies, pastries, candies and used extensively in vaccines. May cause a severe allergic reaction.
2. Butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHA and BHT) – A chemical used in jet fuel and embalming fluid. Also used in breakfast cereals, sausages, chips and many other processed foods. These harmful chemicals are linked to cancer.
3. Carrageen — Stabilizer made from seaweed. Found in almond milk, vegan coffee creamers, soy milk and yogurts. It causes digestive issues for many.
4. Carmine (Carminic Acid or Cochineal) — Red coloring made from insects (e.g.: crushed beetles). It’s used in candy, ice cream, yogurt, pudding and bottled juices. It may cause serious allergic reactions.
5. Dextrose (GMO corn sugar) — Animal bones may be used to filter dextrose. This sweetener that’s used extensively in processed foods contains GMO corn.
6. Dough Conditioner – Glyceryl monostearate, potassium bromate, benzoyl peroxide, locust (carob) bean gum, monocalcium sulfate and calcium sulfate. And watch out for azodicarbonamide also. These dough conditioners cause cancer. And many of them are illegal in Europe and other places.
7. Emulsifier — These processed fats come from animal, vegetable and synthetic sources. In most processed foods. Lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, calcium stearoyl, polysorbate and monostearate. It has been known to cause serious allergic reactions.
8. Food coloring — Most food coloring is derived from coal tar. They’re used in most processed food and drinks, especially candy and sweets. Some of the worst offenders include Red #40, Blue #2, Yellow #5 and many more. They may contain lead and arsenic. Studies show that food colorings cause hyperactivity in children and can cause cancer.
9. High Fructose Corn Syrup — Sweetener used in most sodas and processed foods. It’s linked to diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Studies show that half of the samples of HFCS tested contained mercury, which is toxic.
10. Modified Corn Starch – Contains GMO corn. Used in baked goods, yogurt. This filler that is in virtually every processed food contains GMO corn, which studies show causes cancer.
11. MSG — Monosodium glutamate: salt. It also goes by the names: maltodextrin, autolyzed yeast extract and hydrolyzed soy protein. This chemical that’s used in a lot of restaurants causes migraines, nausea, heart irregularities and seizures.
12. ‘Natural’ Flavorings — Food companies don’t disclose what flavors they use for their products, so it could be anything from vegetable juice to meat glue made from pig’s blood. Unfortunately, many of these natural flavorings are addicting and can lead to overeating. Also, they may cause allergic reactions.
But by growing your own food, eating organic food, and avoiding the toxic food additives listed above, you will be much healthier — and avoid many of the serious health issues that plague most Americans.
Do you trust the FDA? Write your answer in the comments below: