The average American throws away 60,000 pounds of trash during their lifetime, but one couple has set out to take some of that “stuff” and build a home out of it — using shipping containers.
Their names are Ryan and Brook Naylor, and their home will be built out of repurposed items found in dumpsters and also out of two shipping containers – the types that cross the ocean each and every day. They’re this week’s guests on Off The Grid Radio.
They’re part of a growing movement that believes reusing and repurposing items – the stuff we toss in the trash every day – is not only the cheapest way to go but also the right thing to do.
- Why they chose to build a “shipping container home.”
- Where the best places are to go dumpster diving for construction materials and even furniture.
- What steps to take to build a similar home.
- Where they bought their shipping containers.
- What they’ve found in dumpsters that’s worth thousands.
We all could learn a few lessons from Ryan and Brook. Listen as they tell us their story.