Coping with the world is an ongoing challenge. When disasters, adversities, and frustrations come up, it can be easy to give into despondency, despair, and self-doubt. Fortunately, throughout the Bible you will find verse after verse reminding you of the many ways that the Lord supports and affirms your struggle to survive.
After all, when you think of the situations faced by the people of the Bible, they certainly went though dark days. No wonder they had so many conversations with the Lord asking for assurance, aid, and inspiration!
Alone or with others in communion with you, here are a few verses that seem to speak especially to the Christian survivalist.
Fear is a particularly tough challenge. It seems that there are so many things to fear in this world, from political uncertainty to economic woes. However, as society crumbles and the world seems headed for the way of dust, these verses provide strength and assurance:
- The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid? ~ Psalm 27:1
- The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom . . . ~ 2 Timothy 4:18
- Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. ~ Isaiah 41:10
- Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord is the one who goes before you. He will be with you; he will neither fail nor forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:8
Overcoming Worry & Anxiety
Worry and anxiety are further burdens for survivalists. With the future uncertain, it is only natural that these emotions creep into your life. However, you can keep them from dominating your life by turning to the following verses:
- So do not worry, saying “What shall we eat?” or “What shall we drink?” or “What shall we wear?” For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. ~ Matthew 6:28 – 31
- Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you . . . And the God of all grace, who called you to his glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast. ~ 1 Peter 5:7,10
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~ Phillipians 4:6-7
In the struggle for survival, it is also important not to become an isolationist, and to keep in relationship with others. Here are few verses to guide and inspire you in this task:
- Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching. ~ Hebrews 10:25
- Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. ~ Ephesians 4:32
- Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. ~ James 5:16
Helping One Another
Along with the need for companionship, partnering with others has practical motivations which the Bible encourages. Remember these verses when you ponder combining your efforts with others near you:
- Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! . . . Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. ~ Ecclesiastes 4:9 – 10, 12
- Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. ~ 1 Corinthians 10:24
These verses are just a few of the many words of inspiration and strength that the Lord has for you as a Christian. Whether your world is out of control temporarily or you have experienced a life changing event, don’t forget to take your strength from the One who can truly shift outcomes.