Living off the grid has plenty of perks and rewards, but if you don’t know what you’re doing on the front end, it also can put a big dent in your bank account.
On this week’s edition of Off The Grid Radio, we talk to an off-gridder who built his first home – including the purchase of 20 acres of land – for $5,000. His name is Abe Connally, and he lives in Texas with his wife and daughter in the foothills of one of America’s most picturesque locations: the foothills of Big Bend National Park.
Even more amazing, Connally and his wife constructed the home by themselves, without any engineering or construction background.
- How he was able to get such a large piece of land for such a small price.
- Which inexpensive materials he and his wife used to build the house.
- Why he chose to live off-grid in Texas after years of an on-grid life.
- How he keeps the house cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Which books and resources he used to learn how to build a house.
No matter if you’re on or off the grid, the story of Abe Connally is sure to inspire. Listen as he tells how he was able to build an entire home for what many Americans use as a down payment!