We value our pets for companionship and protection, and we owe it to our pets to be responsible for their care. If we take care of them, they’ll take care of us.
In the case of an emergency or disaster like an earthquake, flood or hurricane, pets can get lost or disoriented. If we’re not properly prepared for an emergency, we may find ourselves helpless. Just like people, pets need food, water and occasionally medication. Similarly, unsanitary conditions promote disease, complicating an already difficult situation. Cats, exotic birds and other pets may develop breeding populations that cause havoc in neighborhoods and further aggravate problems.
The best way to avoid these problems is to maintain a Pet Survival Kit and keep it in an easy to transport container.
What’s in a Pet Survival Kit
The best pet survival kits will contain at least the following items:
- Recent photos or video of your pet placed both in the pet survival kit and on your person, so you can show others in the event your pet is lost or you’re attempting to reclaim it.
- A pet survival collar worn by your pet that contains the pet’s ID, name and address, phone number, rabies tag, and license.
- Up-to-date shots, health and vaccination records.
- Pet medications.
- An extra leash.
- A pet carrier or cage.
- A piece of your clothing, so the pet feels safe.
- Water and food bowls.
- A two-week supply of pet food
- Several gallons of clean drinking water.
- A hand can opener (not electric!).
- A pet waste disposal system including newspapers, cat littler, poop scoop, bleach, and plastic garbage bags.
- A list containing detailed health issues or concerns.
- Grooming supplies and toys.
- Blankets and bedding.
Your pet’s survival depends on you even when times are easy. When survival is at stake, you need to be prepared to continue caring for your pets so that they remain healthy and able to provide you with the companionship or security you’ll need in an emergency. A pet survival kit should be required gear for any pet owner.
Other articles in this issue: