No season is as challenging for homesteaders as is winter. That’s because no season is as deadly – for livestock and humans.
But if you’re prepared and stocked up on supplies, you can survive and thrive the frigid cold this year!
“Prepping the homestead for winter” is this week’s topic on Off The Grid Radio, as we talk to Ann Larkin Hansen, a homesteader and small-scale organic farmer who is the author of several books, including “The Backyard Homestead Seasonal Planner: What to do and when to do it” (Storey).
Ann shares with us her favorite indoor winter projects. She also tells us:
- How she prepares her chickens for winter.
- How she keeps the livestock’s water from freezing.
- Why she doesn’t grow food during winter.
- Why winter is a great time to raise new buildings.
- Which outdoor projects she absolutely loves.
Winter shouldn’t be a season that homesteaders dread, Ann says.
Listen as Ann provides inspiration for winter that all of us need!